Monday, May 25, 2009

One match to go

Another frustrating evening for your correspondent as I searched all over Kizilay thinking that surely at least one pub would be showing a game involving the team coming second in the league. Silly me. So in the end I grabbed a seat at the Chopin and watched the Besiktas - Galatasaray game.

It was a pretty good game too but for me it was the little scrolling score updates that had me interested and it was with great pleasure that I saw that Fener were putting Konya to the sword.

Then on the 22 minute mark I jumped for joy when news came through that James Troisi had scored to put Gencler 1-0 up away to Sivas. With the Besiktas - Galatasaray game at 0-0, if all the results stayed the same Besiktas would probably be league champions. The bloke next to me asked "Are you a Besiktas fan?" I gave him a cold look and pulled out my Gencler season ticket. I think I was the only Ankara fan in the pub.

Half-time and I was pretty happy, chatting away to a bloke who makes shoes and an old fellow who was backing up my story that I was a Gencler fan saying to the shoe-maker that we show up to Chopin every week.

Anyway, as you may have noticed there isn't much football analysis in the report as I didn't see the match. One thing I can say is that Gencler were hit hard with injuries to key players such as Traore and Koray and we had to play youngsters from the PAF team.

Maybe that's where we were unravelled as Sivas ended up scoring three second-half goals before Momha scored to make it 3-2. There was still plenty of time but the scrolling thing on the telly didn't give us another goal.

As Sir Eski pointed out in his post, Ankaragucu are now 100 percent safe. As far as can figure out, so are we. It all comes down to averages and head-to-head stuff (in which we are ahead of Konya).

We can, however, bugger the maths and make sure we don't go down with a win or a draw against Kayseri.

The match is on Saturday night 8pm. Looking forward to seeing all the kankas, Gencler and Ankaragucu alike. My guess is that tickets will be 1 lira.



Troisi's goal

1 comment:

  1. Well, that's a shitter !

    It's the FA Cup Final on Saturday on the big screen in the Red Lion Club when we will all be supporting Everton.

    So, decision time. Which match ? Of course, Gencler will beat Kayseri nae problem, but can Everton take the smile of those southern Ingallish bassas faces ???!

    Bottom line .... I may take the Everton option Chris !!

    ReplyDelete