Tuesday, June 27, 2006

And you thought Turkish commentators were bad

Turkish football commentators are bad. They have no sense of being neutral if Turkey are playing. The ball will go out and the comment is always "taç bizim". If the opposition scores the result is usually a whispered "maalesef gol" followed by silence.

But at least they don't go too over the top when reporting when Turkey are not involved (except for the other day in the Switzerland - Sth. Korea match) unlike their counterparts from China state television.

Here what Huang Jianxiang said after Grosso went down last night.

"Penalty! Penalty! Penalty! Grosso's done it, Grosso's done it! The great Italian left back! He succeeded in the glorious traditions of Italy! Facchetti, Cabrini and Maldini, their souls are infused in him at this moment! Grosso represents the long history and traditions of Italian soccer, he's not fighting alone at this moment! He's not alone!"

More was to come when Francesco Totti converted the spot-kick.

"Goooooal! Game over! Italy win! Beat the Australians! They do not fall in front of Hiddink again! Italy the great! Left back the great! Happy birthday to Maldini! Forza Italia! The victory belongs to Italy, to Grosso, to Cannavaro, to Zambrotta, to Buffon, to Maldini, to everyone who loves Italian soccer! Hiddink ... lost all his courage faced with Italian history and traditions ... He finally reaped fruits which he had sown! They should go home. They don't need to go as far away as Australia as most of them are living in Europe. Farewell!"

Check it out here. A very funny video, but still depressing of course.

EDIT: Wednesday June 26: Huang Jianxiang has apologised! Here is the letter.

Dear soccer fans and TV viewers around the country:

I have attached too much personal feeling to the match of Italian versus Australia at the end of the game last night. After I woke up this morning, I reviewed the video of the match again and I feel there are some injustice and prejudice in my comment. I will make formal apologies to viewers.

I am familiar with the Italian football and I hope that the Italians can gain a berth in the last eight, which will make the matches in the [future] more exciting, but I have mingled my feeling and the role of my job. It is not a standpoint that a TV commentator should have. I will apologise to those fans who express their dissatisfaction, opinion and criticism.

I will draw the lesson from this case and remind me of the role of my job and keep my personal feeling and job balanced. When we live broadcast the matches, we hope referees can be just, and as a commentator, I will try my best to be fair and to do a good job.

Wish every fan happiness with the World Cup matches.

1 comment:

  1. It was painful watching it !!

    Firstly, and as a retired Class 1 footie referee, it was NOT a penalty. OK, so the referee has a different angle than us, but the `unwritten` rule of refereeing is ....you don't give a penalty in the last 5-10 minutes unless it is 100% for sure !!

    As for the commentary..... well, I think the best thing to say is...... NO COMMENT !!!

    All the best from Eski Kanka Jim

    ReplyDelete